Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Films, Trouts and Goats

It’s been a long time since I’ve written; too long. What can I say; it’s the trout’s fault!

It’s been a great few months!  I worked the Colorado Women’s Fly Fishers booth at the Denver Fly Fishing Show and met a tone of awesome folks including the cool dudes from Cheeky Fly Fishing, Allen Fly Fishing, and Mr. Hopper Juan himself, Juan Ramirez. I also hit up the International Sportsmen Show; always a ton of people with interesting stuff that makes me wish I had an endless bank account & endless amounts of time! Next on the docket is the F3T show. Other exciting news is that I am now part of the Chasing Tail Media- a great group sharing the passion & experiences of fly fishing through film & photography.


Of course, I’ve been on the river a handful of times. Though I didn’t technically catch anything (I hooked ‘em, but didn’t hand ‘em), fishing with my Dad & big Brother on the Crooked River over Christmas was a serious highlight. I even got a new Lamson Konic reel for Christmas & set it up with some wicked line from Blue Halo Gear.   


A short while later I was able to break in the reel & line during a Bluebird day with a temp high of 18 on a monstrous 23 ½ inch brown trout. Biggest fish of my life & a month later I’m still on Cloud 9 because of that guy. Nothing like catching a Colorado Water Pig with shiny blue cheeks & fins almost as big as my hands! A few weeks later, I caught my first cutthroat as well. A cuttie has been on my list since day 1 & 8 months later…..FINALLY! 




Winter fishing has proven to be some serious fun. It’s tough, the fish are picky, the temps are brutal, but the rewards far outweigh the downsides.  I have layers upon layers & came to the terms that looking like a marshmallow & waddling like a penguin is okay….the fish don’t care!  I also purchased some Goat Head Sole Spikes & couldn’t be happier. It’s icy out there & rubber soles just don’t provide the traction you really need.  I’ve fished with the Goats on my boots on the Crooked River, Colorado River, S Platte, and even the slicker-than-snot Blue River.  You can actually feel the traction & grabbing of the spikes.  It’s like having 4x4 on my feet!

Because there’s lots of winter fishing left to do & the guys over at Goat Head & I both want you to enjoy it without failing on your can, I have a set of Goat Head Sole Spikes to give away! Tell me why (on my blog or over at Rods, Reels & Heels) you need them & one random winner will be chosen for a set of Goat Head Sole Spikes. Contest ends Wendesday, February 6th.

12 comments:

  1. I would love a set of Goat Spikes! While I appreciate the core workout of trying to stay upright in the river, it would be nice to feel secure and just enjoy the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to bust my @ss! And since I am sure you don't want me to either, I will gladly give them a new home! I have been wanting a set since before Christmas. I guess Santa thought I was too naughty...
    Thanks,
    TheMadPaddler

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hate falling on my knees in the river! I need 4wd for my feet too!
    Love this post. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome brown trout! Way to go. Enjoyed the post. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog from IG. Great post and nice fish. I need spikes so I don't die while steelheading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bought some for my son and would live to get some for my wife so she can feel safer when we are out on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to stay upright when I go fishing. I could use some

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun having another fly gal to shop with on this journey! Your posts always give me something new to check out! Alas, I am a Hopper Juan fan myself! We need to fish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next time you are in Colorado you should look up Deborah Mance http://www.theflyfishingwoman.com/ she took me out for the first time this past summer on Eleven Mile and had me in the fish in under ten minutes, best day I had all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great write up and awesome catches! I look forward to seeing more :) I would like to win the Goat Head Sole Spikes because I am 6ft tall and its a long fall ;P haha - Mostly I carry around my precious camera gear and there is no way with a photographers wage that I could afford new stuff so when I am crossing the rivers I would like to minimize the chances of me falling in the water with that gear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone, for taking the time to read my blog & participate. Nick Torres is the lucky winner! I'll have more giveaways in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was good seeing you at the show. Glad you got to spend a few minutes chatting.

    Juan

    ReplyDelete